Friday, May 4, 2012

Recovering Throw Pillows

HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE THROW PILLOWS FOR YOUR COUCH

I have recently purchased a couch, used but nice.  I wasn’t too fond of the throw pillows, they just seemed too out dated, so I decided to make my own.  I went to the fabric store and found some beautiful fabric on sale and a zipper for each pillow. The Materials only cost $25 to make 4 pillows.



First, I took the pillow that I already had and used it as a guide. The pillow was 16” squared, so I folded my fabric in half and cut it into a 17” squared piece of fabric. I folded the fabric in half before I cut it, so I was cutting the front and back out at the same time as well as giving me one less side to sew.





Second, with my fabric folded in half and with right sides together; on the opposite side as my folded edge I did a basting stitch with a 5/8” seam allowance. (a basting stitch is a loose stitch, you just change the length of the stitch to as long is it can go.  This will help hold the fabric together for when you do the final stitch).  This is where I am going to to put my zipper.









Third, you want to take the seam and press it open with iron so that it is easier to insert your zipper.








Forth, you want to pin your zipper face down on the pressed
open basting stich so that right sides are together.









Fifth, you want to sew on your zipper. It is best when sewing on your zipper that you sew from top to bottom on each side. Make sure that you leave your zipper partially unzipped so that you can get back into it because we are going to need to take out the basting stitch. You can choose to do it now or after the side seams are stitched.






Sixth, you will rotate your fabric until you find the perfect spot for your zipper to sit. I thought it would be best if it was in the middle of the backside of the pillow. After you do that then you will want to pin up your sides








Seventh, when sewing your sides you want have a ½” seam allowance. Also make sure you back stitch over the zipper to make it secure.







Eighth, I then took my seam ripper and removed the basting stitch. Now this can be done before or after the side seams. It’s
your preference, but it is a little easier to do it before you
sew up the sides. If you choose to do it that way leave the
ends basted until you are able to sew the sides, so the fabric
lays smoothly.








Ninth, then you will want to turn your pillow right sides out.








And lastly, you will stuff your pillow. I just stuff my old pillows right inside. I didn’t even take off the old fabric. People will never know
unless they unzip your pillow.










And ta duh you are finished.

Contributed by: Tamie

No comments:

Post a Comment