Friday, May 4, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

I love this recipe for laundry soap!  I got it from my Aunt who was trying to find ways to save money and being a young family with two children under 2 you go through a lot of laundry.   It has saved us a lot and I’ve been using this recipe for 2 years!
Ingredients:

Zote soap
Borax
Washing Soda





First what I do is get a cheese grater and grate the Zote soap on the smallest setting.  You can let it dry over  a few days… but for me I don’t remember to make the laundry soap till I’ve completely run out.  






So what I do is I take ½ cup borax, 1 cup grated Zote Soap, ½ cup washing soda and put it in the blender  (yes I do use our kitchen blender…. Just make sure you clean it out really well after wards when doing dishes).  Then I blend it up so everything is the same consistency which is just a few seconds.  I learned if I put more into the blender it will have a hard time blending together.   Then I put it in a gallon ice cream bucket.




 When doing laundry use 1Tbsp for a small load, 2 heaping tbsp for a large load!  It works great!  Also I cut off a little chunk of zote soap to set off to the side to use as a stain remover.  You just rub it against the stain, make sure fabric is damp! Then wash.  Also if your whites (such as towels)  start to smell a little funny just wash it in warm water or add a tsp or so of Dawn dish soap!   Another suggestion is when doing a load of laundry put the soap in first and let the washer start filling up.  Once the soap is completely covered with water then I add my clothes… then you don’t have to worry about having soap residue on your clothes when they are done washing.  This is a big money savor and lasts along time!

Contributed by: Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment